TO GET dapat digunakan dalam beragam pola dan memiliki beragam makna.
TO GET + objek langsung = mendapatkan/memperoleh, menerima, membeli
- I got my passport last week. (memperoleh)
- She got her driving license last week. (memperoleh)
- They got permission to live in Switzerland. (memperoleh)
- I got a letter from my friend in Nigeria. (menerima)
- He gets $1,000 a year from his father. (menerima)
- She got a new coat from Zappaloni in Rome. (membeli)
- We got a new television for the sitting room. (membeli)
TO GET + ekspresi tempat = mencapai, tiba di suatu tempat
- How are you getting home tonight?
- We got to London around 6 p.m.
- What time will we get there?
- When did you get back from New York?
TO GET + kata sifat = menjadi, menunjukkan perubahan keadaan
- I am getting old.
- It's getting hotter.
- By the time they reached the house they were getting hungry.
- I'm getting tired of all this nonsense.
- My mother's getting old and needs looking after.
- It gets dark very early in the winter.
- Don't touch the stove until is gets cool.
TO GET + preposisi/kata keterangan = kata kerja frasa dengan beragam makna
|TO GET +||Arti||Contoh|
|to get at||berusaha menyampaikan||I think I see what you're getting at. I agree.|
|to get away with||terhindar dari hukuman atas kejahatan atau tindakan yang buruk||I can't believe you got away with cheating on that test!|
|to get by||mengelola (keuangan)||Sam doesn't earn much, but we get by.|
|to get down||membuat saya murung||This rain is really getting me down.|
|to get off||meninggalkan suatu transportasi (kereta, bus, sepeda, pesawat)||We got off the train just before the bomb exploded.|
|to get on||
1. memasuki/duduk di suatu transportasi (kereta, bus, sepeda, pesawat)
2. memiliki hubungan dengan seseorang
1. He got on his bicycle and rode down the street.
2. Amy and I really get on well.
|to get on with||melanjutkan||I have so much homework, I'd better get on with it.|
|to get out of||menghindari melakukan sesuatu, terutama kewajiban atau tugas||She got out of the washing-up every day, even when it was her turn.|
|to get over||pulih (dari penyakit, keterkejutan)||Have you gotten over your cold yet?|
|to get through||menggunakan atau menghabiskan pasokan sesuatu||We've got through all the sugar. Can you buy some more?|
|to get up||meninggalkan tempat tidur||He gets up at 6.00 a.m. every morning.|
|to get up to||merencanakan sesuatu - biasanya sesuatu yang buruk||The children are very quiet. I wonder what they're getting up to.|
Ekspresi lain dengan GET
Do you get it berarti apakah Anda mengerti?.
Do you get what the teacher was explaining in class?
He's getting dinner tonight berarti dia sedang mempersiapkan makanan.
You can relax. It's my turn to get dinner tonight.
I'll get the bill berarti saya akan membayar.
Put your wallet away! I'll get the bill.
That really gets me! berarti itu membuatku kesal.
It really gets me when my sister shows up late.
To get rid of something berarti menyingkirkan sesuatu.
I'm going to get rid of all these old newspapers.
To get out of bed on the wrong side berarti suasana hati sedang buruk/tidak baik.
He got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning and he's been horrible all day.
To get your own back berarti membalaskan dendam Anda atau menghukum seseorang.
She's getting her own back for all those rude things you said at the party last night.