• I had had that car for five years before it broke down
• My mother felt bad about selling the house because she had owned it for more than ten years
Past perfect tense juga dapat digunakan pada reported speech setelah verbs : said, told, asked, thought, wondered dan lain-lain. contoh :
• She said that she had studied hard
• I though she had changed to be better woman
Selain itu, tenses ini dapat digunakan untuk mengekspresikan harapan atau impian yang tidak tidak tercapai (conditional tipe 3). Perhatikan contoh berikut :
• If I had not taken a bath fast, I would have missed the train.
• She would been the same level with me iif she had studied harder.
Past perfect tense jika diubah menjadi kalimat pasif akan menjadi seperti contoh di bawah ini :
• (kalimat aktif) Ryan had repaired many cars before he received his mechanic’s license
• (kalimat pasif) Many cars had been repaired by Ryan before he received his mechanic’s license